Sunday, November 7, 2010

Recommendation Engines


We all use recommendation engines whether we know it or not on websites such as Amazon, Youtube, and Netflix. One of the most common recommendation engines we use is Pandora. All we have to do is enter in a song or artist that we like and it creates a whole playlist of songs for us that we might like. Every time a new song comes out a “musicologist” goes through and analyzes different aspects and this process takes about 20 minutes.  Doesn’t sound too bad right? Well Pandora currently has added over 740,000 songs to their website over the past ten years.
Recommendation engines are changing our culture as well. We used to have our friends and other people suggest new things like television show, music, and art to us but now we learn them from software. After we watch a Youtube video it will suggest another 10 videos that we might like. On Amazon as we are about to make a purchase it will suggest something to go with or something like the item we are purchasing. Pandora kind of works like a human, it knows something about one song that you like then tries to recommend something similar to this song.
Netflix had a movie recommendation engine call “Cinematch.” This engine was not very accurate with suggesting movies and was super complicated. Netflix then held a competition to the public to help improve their engine by ten percent. The eventual winners of the competition came up with a software that knew nothing about movies and was based on the audiences reactions.
Recommendation engines have come along to help us out in a world full of too many choices. Sometimes we just do not know what is all out there and we need someone, or should I say something, too help us figure out what we like and want.

13 comments:

  1. These recommendation engines are legit. They still have some work to do but I use Netflix and it helps a ton. It shows on a side bar similar movies or tv shows and it is awesome. Great job! It also is great for shopping. I always use the little "you also might like" thing on the side to help me shop online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't use recommendation engines very often, but I agree that they can be useful for finding things similar to what we like and expanding our interest in things like music and movies. I think that as recommendation engines become more accurate they will become much more prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use NetFlix all the time and I completely forgot about the recommendations that the website offers. When I really want to watch a movie but I can't think of one, I'll use the recommendation engines to find one that I may enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think recommendation engines are good and bad. I use them all the time and they have helped me find things like music. In a way though it's strange that they know enough information about you to match you so well. Overall, I think recommendation engines are more beneficial than hurtful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually use a lot of recommendations on websites such as amazon, iTunes, and youtube. However I usually don't use Facebook recommendations because I think those can carry viruses. However, I think recommendation engines can be very useful, especially for music on Pandora and Itunes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your presentation Katherine! I didn't think about how much went into recommendation engines and that it can take personal info to make other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always on Pandora. I didn't realize that Pandora was a recommendation site. It makes more sense because they make a play lists depending on the artist of song you choose. I thought that was very interesting. I think recommendation engines are good because they help us further our interests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never realized how helpful and prevalent recommendation engines are in everyday internet use until you did your presentation. Itunes' recomindation engines, unlike facebook's, are so much more helpful. The process the people at Pandora use was very interesting and makes me appreciate their music choices more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never really realized how much I used recommendation engines. I use them everyday without even really doing it on purpose. When I get on Facebook my top news feed is generally the things I might be most intrested in because they are the most popular or the people stuff I comment or "like" the most. Recommendation engines are very helpful but are sometimes a little bit creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally I think YouTube is probably the most used..all the related videos is shown on the side, or you can go to all the videos uploaded by the person who put up the video you are currently watching. However, I think many ads and other recommendations could be viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recommendation engines are definitely annoying, and there are tons of them. Most recommendation sites just clutter their page with useless recommendations. Though, some of them are good, like Youtube, which usually gets the recommendations right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your presentation was very good. I never stopped to think about what a recommendation engine really was, but I'm glad i know now. It kind of creeps me out that they look at things I search to look at what I might like though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your presentation was fabulous! I really enjoyed listening. Before your presentation I wasn't aware what a recommendation engine was, and after your presentation it became a lot clearer. You kept my interest the entire time, and taught me something new!

    ReplyDelete